Sunday, April 26, 2009

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout


I purchased this book for two reasons. First I heard a review on the radio where the critic was begging for the listener to read it and secondly, I use to live in Maine where most of my family still lives and I know there are plenty of characters around the state that would make for a good story. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout is a collection of short stories which takes place mostly in the fictional town of Crosby, Maine which one will find out is near the coast. Olive herself is a retired schoolteacher who has definite opinions about people and life and offers them in a straightforward manner. I really enjoyed many of the characters within the stories. Elizabeth Strout does a great job of detailing a description on each person so that it’s easy to picture them as real. Anyone who has spent some time or lives in the State of Maine probably will be able to connect to this cast of characters thinking; yeah… that sort of reminds me of so and so. I give it a 5 lobster pot rating. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment