Monday, August 29, 2011

Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt

This was my summer read for 2011 and I really enjoyed this book. It is a memoir of Frank McCourt’s childhood which has so much hunger and hardship at times you may wonder if it is all true. When they say that life is more interesting than fiction this book is a case in point. Throughout the book I kept hoping that his father would do the right thing and bring home the money so they could eat, but no, the pint had a stronger pull and “Mam” couldn’t control him or get to his paycheck before he spent it all at the pubs. The sadness of death, the rituals of the Catholic religion, the quiet people who do good, the loud people who do bad, the shame of being a cut below your neighbors, the anger at parents who were doing things you didn’t want them to do. This book pulled me in from so many directions that I truly did not want to put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment