Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Catch of the Day

Does anyone feel like having some Pork-of-Pine Soup? Well this not so little bugger was one of the rodents that have been noisily gnawing away at the floor joists below my kitchen recently and probably the same one I can thank for giving the floor in my pantry the support and feel of a trampoline.
Seeing and hearing the damage that these critters can do to a 2"x 8” was enough to make me go out and buy a Hav-a-Hart trap about a month ago. Last spring I spoke to one of the local Game Wardens about the porcupines and he told me what to use for bait: an apple cut in half, smeared with peanut butter, and covered in salt. It’s the salt that porcupines apparently love the most. So I had that apple with peanut butter and salt in the trap for almost 3 weeks before Porky decided to have a bite. Today was my lucky day and with the help of a neighbor we “relocated” it to a better place.
Now I just have to see if he has any brothers and sisters living under my crawlspace.

No comments:

Post a Comment